Monday, March 22, 2010

Defining a Generation: As It Is

n memory of the 1765 Stamp Act - a monumental occasion in the history of America - and the equally revolutionary passage of H.R. 3962 into the Senate (whether you support it or not, it's a big deal... and that's an understatement), I wanted to do something a little different.  

Defining a Generation is a set of blog spots that I've had on my mind lately. Take a moment and watch this video:


 How finite do you feel?

One of the facts that stuck with me is the amount of information we consume and output. If we have five times the amount of words that Shakespeare had, why is it that our usage of them has been reduced to a few vulgar and trite mutterings? How is it that we have lost more than we have gained?

Can we blame this phenomena as "a product of circumstances"? Or would it be better described as a result of our laziness?

When I imagine an era I enjoy (Dynastic China/Turn of the Century America/Ancient Greece and Egypt/19th Century India and Arabia) I think of how hard life would be without the "necessities": air conditioning, electricity, internet, etc. Yet I also wonder how much happier and content I would be. Surely they lived more fulfilling and purposeful lives.

There is something in me that fights to be unique, a mover and shaker of the world. I have not been left here to fritter my existence...
Let him that would move the world first move himself ~ Socrates  
blog comments powered by Disqus
Related Posts with Thumbnails